Posted by Glamour Mutt on 5/12/2012 to Dog Carriers
The perfect dog carrier for you and your dog exists! But with so many to choose from, how do you narrow it down?
When choosing a carrier, consider the following:
- Do you want your dog to be able to stick his or her head out of the carrier (most dogs enjoy checking out the scenery) Most Petote carriers have rolldown windows without mesh, to allow your dog to peak out their head! Other designers like Jaraden have optional zippered mesh on the sides for versatility.
- Do you plan on traveling by air? Airline approved dog carriers make traveling with your dog comfortable and easy. Some of the top designers, such as Petote, Kwigy-Bo, Cece Kent and Jaraden, have created many of their carriers that fit the guidelines for approval of most airlines (check your specific airlines website to see if your carrier meets their guidelines).
- Do you want your dog to travel incognito? If so, consider a carrier with windows that have roll-down flaps.
- How large is your dog, and if he or she is still a puppy, how large will he or she get? If you want to use your carrier for years to come, make sure you are selecting a carrier that will accommodate their approximate full-grown size.
- How much pocket storage space to you need? Do you plan on storing small items, like your wallet or some puppy snacks – or do you need more room for items such as an ipad.
- What type of material do you want for your carrier? Italian leather and soft buttery pleather straps are the most comfortable on your shoulder for extended hours of wear, while canvas is durable for dogs that tend to chew on everything in sight. Petote and Cece Kent offer luxurious leather carriers and Kwigy-Bo and Jaraden offer more soft pleather options.
Don’t forget to accessorize! Susan Lanci offers the coziest carrier blankets, perfect for chilly airline travel as well as during the colder months of the year. Many smaller dogs are susceptible to hypothermia, in which case these blankets should be used year-round. Our Summertime Pet Carrier Cooling Pad will keep your pup cool as a cucumber while you’re traveling for long periods and on hot sunny days. Comfort is key when it comes to the interior of your dog carrier, so selecting a soft blanket or cooling pad is essential to keep your dog comfortable, and therefore less finicky!